Buri Daikon (Simmered Yellowtail & Daikon)
Ingredients (serves 4)
1/2 Daikon Radish
1.5L Rice Water
50g Ginger (sliced)
5Tbsp Soy Sauce
2Tbsp Sugar (I used beet sugar)
1. Cut the daikon into 3cm(1 1/4inch) thick and peel the skin. Cut into halves and trim off the edges,
2. Place in a large saucepan with the rice water. Bring to boil and precook for 15 minutes.Then rince the daikon under cold water.
3. Cut the yellowtail into bite size pieces. Then put the yellowtail into boiling water for 2-3 seconds and put into cold water.
4. Pour dashi, kombu, sliced ginger, daikon pieces in a large saucepan and bring to boil, add sugar, sake, yellowtail.
5. Cook for 10 min and remove the scam.
6. Add soy sauce, mirin and cook for 20min until the fish and daikon are very tender and absorbing the cooking liquid.