Home Made Amazake
Amazake is a Japanese super healthy drink made from fermented rice.
No sugar added but it's sweet and delicious!
Amazake has many health and beauty benefits so I drink it everyday.
1 cup Rice Koji (You can find it in the Japanese grocery store)
1/2 cup Rice
3 cups Water
Thermos Bottle ( pre-heat the bottle with hot water)
1. Wash the rice with running water over 5 times until there is no more white rice starch coming out of it.
2. Drain the water and place the rice and 3 cups of water into the pot ( I use Le Creuset) .
3. Cover the lid and bring it to boil. ( It takes about 7 min)
4. When it comes to boil, reduce the heat to low and cook 12-13min.
5. After turning off the heat, let stand for 15min with lid.
6. Stir well and allow to cool to 140F (60C).
7, Add the rice koji and stir well.
8. Put the mixture into the pre- heated thermos bottle and keep it in 140F ( 60C) for 10-13 hours. ( If the temperature is too low, please reheat to 60 C(140F) . Do not heat to over 70C(160F)).
9. The fermentation is finished when the mixture becomes soft and sweet.
*You can keep it refrigerated for up to about 7 days.
* You can use it as a sweetener !