White Miso Zoni Soup for New Year's Feast
Ingredients (Serves 4)
50g Kintoki Carrot (or a regular carrot)
4 stems Mitsuba Leaves
150g White Miso
1. Slice the daikon and carrot into 1/4 inch thick and cut into your favorite shape with a cookie cutter. ( I used Japanese gourd shapes, which is lucky symbol in Japan)
2. Peel the taro skin and cut into a hexagon shape. (Hexagon shape is also a lucky symbol in Japan)
3. Boil daikon, carrot and taro for about 5 min.
4. Boil mitsuba leaves for about 30 second.
5. Tie the carrot and daikon with mitsuba stems.
6. Peel the yuzu skin into small pieces.
7. Boil the mochi until it becomes soft.
8. Heat dashi until boiling. Remove pan from the heat and dissolve the white miso into the dashi soup.
9. Put the mochi into the soup bowl, arrange the vegetables on top.
10. Pour the white miso soup into the bowl.