Zenzai (Sweet Adzuki Bean Soup with Mochi)
January 11th is a day for 'Kagamibiraki'. On this day, people break the 'Kagami-Mochi' (New Year's Rice Cake)and make 'Zenzai' (Sweet Adzuki Bean Soup with Mochi). Adzuki beans are believed to ward off evil.
Ingredients (Serves 4-5)
Adzuki Bean 250g
Sugar (I used beet sugar) 250g
Salt 1/2 tsp
1. Clean adzuki with water and cover with 800cc water. Bring them to boil over high heat.
2, After boiling, add 1cup of water and bring them to boil again.
2. Drain the hot water.
3. Cover the adzuki beans with 1L of fresh water and bring them to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat and cook for 1-1,5 hours until the beans become tender.
5. Remove the scam and add sugar and salt.
6. Cook for 30min with low heat.
7. Remove from heat. Put a lid and let rest for 30min.
8. Preheat oven to 450F and bake mochi for about 5min. (Be careful not to burn!)
8. Heat the adzuki soup up again and pour in the bowl. Put the baked mochi on the soup.